Tuesday, July 25, 2006

more precisely, not right-wing

In George Galloway's post on the Guardian run discussion place comment is free, "Time to boycott the Standard?", he criticises the use of the headline "The Human Sandbags" which was accompanied with a picture of a man carrying a dead Lebanese child. Galloway is angry because the implication is that this dead child is one of the "human sandbags". I cannot see any other intention by the Evening Standard beyond this implication and share Galloway's contempt of the newspaper.

Before I continue, please understand that I am not a fan of Georgie boy, he is a fine speaker, its just I find myself disagreeing with the bullshit however eloquent it may sound.

A commentator of the article said it better than I could:

"Whatever you think of Galloway, that headline was a piece of shit. It wouldn't have even made the Mail, it's that shit. The Express would rather have gone with 'Hezbollah link to Diana death', that's how utterly shit it was."

Check out the full comment here.

Once I had stopped laughing I started thinking about beginning this blog. I loved this mixture of comments this little article churned up. There was a lot more than just Evening Standard knocking in this debate. People had a go at Georgie boy, whilst others defended him, meanwhile the general discussion expands to varying sentiments about much wider issues.

I couldn't find my footing, just like I couldn't find it whilst reading another chain of debate earlier today. "Remember how this began" is an article by an Israeli named Benjamin Pogrund. It piqued my interest as the news had generally seemed highly critical of Israel's response to the rockets and kidnappings. Benjamin sought to defend Israel somewhat by creating a debate about where it all started. But when did it all start? Everyone had an answer, and no one seemed incorrect, despite disagreements.

It was in these follow-up comments that my feet began to slip. The article had attracted all kinds of people with differing political leanings and allegiances. It was fascinating, albeit, unhelpful in my quest to find out where I am politically.

The Guardian, is considered by most to be a left-wing newspaper. It is my newspaper of choice, one which I have read now for about 3 years. I chose to read it because I consider myself left-wing, or, more precisely, not right-wing. Despite my temporal left-wing status, I find George Galloway's lefty rantings non-sensical and ultimately unhelpful and can often find myself at odds with fellow left-wingers. Take the invasion of Iraq, for example. Before the war, I was willing to accept the governments WMD arguement, as well as the need to remove Hussein. The Liberal Democrats were staunchly against the war, and left-wingers descended on London in the Stop the War marches. With hindsight, I guess I feel the invasion was unwise, and yet I cannot help but note the hope Iraq now has, despite the insurgency, to be a free, democratic country.

But free, democratic countries don't put me at ease. Most of them seem to have nuclear weapons and powerful armies. The country that prides itself most on freedom and democracy is one of the biggest aggressors of this century. Imagine having the USA as your enemy. I cannot think of anything more terrifying. So many nuclear weapons, and so angry with the world, it really doesn't bare thinking about.

That said however, I am in a country who is a strong ally of America, and Britain, in turn, is a member of the European Union, which comprises 25 free and democratic countries. This future the West wants, where all countries are free and democratic is a future I would embrace. I do not believe however that we can hypocritcally force it on others.

I really am going off at a tangent here. There is no way I will be able to get a hold on how I feel about the global situation. All I know right now is that I hate what Hezbollah has done/is doing and I hate the Israeli response to it. I hate the fact that it is impossible to trace where this began exactly and the lives that will be lost because of this. I hate that I can't pick a side when that is what I set out to do. Everyone just seems wrong.

And you know what I really hate? The fact that Mr Galloway can use a comment forum to shallowly promote his radio show. I know he had a point, but this man really can't stop advertising himself; just see if you can watch his unsettling cat impression one more time without feeling the insatiable desire to show him some real respect by kicking him up the arse.

No comments:

Post a Comment